Monday, April 16, 2012

Home made Chalk Paint Re-do

Okay, so I was sooo sick of this coffee table and I have been seeing all of the chalk paint being used, so I decided to try my hand at homemade chalk paint.  No sanding or stripping before painting, now that my kind of paint.  I used 1/3 Plaster of Paris and 2/3 Latex Paint, this must be stirred very well.  The paint tends to get very thick and I found myself stirring it frequently.  I did add a little hot water to the Plaster of Paris before I stirred the paint in.  After the first coat I sanded at little it really does not require a lot of sanding.  I then applied the second coat and sanded.  I used Johnson's Paste wax to apply as the protective coat after I painted and sanded.  I used one coat in the pictures.  I will be adding another coat of the paste.  I really like how the end results turned out.  A very easy project, just a little time consuming.
Before..Ugly
Looking grey, after first coat and sanding.
Second coat of paint and sanding.
Close up of distressing.
This is not a good picture of the table, lighting is off.  All in all, I love the look and I think it looks a lot better.  This is with just one coat of wax, the wax adds sheen and makes the table look darker.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks so great! Pinning so I can try that paint sometime! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at "Pin It & Win It Wednesday" at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you did with this table. I have been itching to try chalk paint, too and asking my husband to bring some calcium carbonate home from the lab where he works, because I heard it is easier to stir in than plaster of Paris. Thanks for posting.... I am following you now! Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great! I still haven't given the chalk paint a try yet...I definitely should!! Thanks for stopping by earlier! I'm your newest follower! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. just wonderful! i need to get some chalk paint:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi- Thanks for finding me and signing up as a follower. I found you back and I am YOUR newest follower. You did a GREAT job on this project. I just love it-the perfect amount of distressing for me. It gives a dated table a whole new look- Hope you are having a great week. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful!It looks so classy, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin it. I used the same 'chalk paint' recipe.
    Im now following you. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and I hope you decide to follow back??? THANKS. 8-)

    ReplyDelete